Every soul sings its own song.

Music is a very special form of communication. It allows the human soul to evoke its deepest feelings and express them. Music has this wonderful, magical ability because it is non-verbal, as are our emotions. It is the perfect language of metaphor. Even when we add lyrics to our music, they are not the prosaic words of common speech.

Everyone has a song within. Cool Conservatory's master teachers can help you bring it into the world.

Composition

 

The craft of music composition involves the synergistic interaction of many separate techniques and disciplines. It is perhaps the most personal form of musical expression. 



At Cool Conservatory you will learn how to work with motifs, the molecular building blocks of composed music. You will learn to manipulate harmonic structures, musical form, and rhythmic patterns. You will study counterpoint and countermelody. And in so doing you will follow in the footsteps of all those great Masters who followed the exact same path.



A word about what composition is not: it is not sitting around staring at a blank page or computer screen waiting for inspiration to strike. It is not fiddling around in your sequencer or noodling at the keyboard waiting for genius to fall from your fingers.



There are ways to "goose the Muse" into providing you that 1% of inspiration that goes into the process, and we'll teach you those techniques too. The other 99% is craft... and that's where Beethoven and Mozart and all the others spent their time.

Songwriting

 

Songwriting is similar to composition and uses many of the same skills. The differences are primarily structural -- you're mostly working in short-form -- and of course, the presence of the all-important human voice. 



Unlike a music composition where you can take as much time as you want to set up your point, make your point, and then comment on your point, songwriting tends to impose strict limits on the length of your statement. So you have to strike fast.



Cool Conservatory's teachers will show you how to write a hook, that tiny bit of the song that sticks in your listener's ear. You'll learn song structure, lyric writing techniques, how to write a tune and harmonize it, how to hold your listener's interest, how to create a lead sheet, and the joy of the rhyming dictionary. We'll also look at basic arranging; if you have a band, we'll show you how to communicate your ideas successfully to your fellow musicians.

Arranging

 

This the process whereby we take the lead sheet -- the skeletal form of a completed song, melody/lyrics/chords only -- and expand it into the finished product your listeners will hear. Yes, it's possible to skip this part, and just create your backing music spontaneously; but if you want it to sound reasonably similar from performance to performance, arranging is key.



This may mean creating an accompaniment only upon your chosen instrument; or it may mean creating parts for the entire rhythm section. The rhythm section are the core members of most bands, the drums, bass, rhythm guitar(s), percussion, and/or keyboard(s). In a band situation, the players frequently contribute to the process and often invent their own parts. This collaborative process is also considered arranging.



Arranging may also entail writing horn parts, string parts, backing vocals, and more. A solid knowledge of harmony and general music theory is required for this. Cool Conservatory can teach you those skills too.

Orchestration

 

Creating music for the symphony orchestra is still considered by musicians of every background to be the highest pinnacle of musical craft. The breadth of knowledge required is profound. This is a skill honed over many years, much like mastering one's chosen instrument.

 

At Cool Conservatory we'll guide your first steps along this path. You'll be introduced to the sections of the orchestra and their individual players. You'll discover how their instruments operate, the pitfalls each presents, and the way to make them sing.

 

If MIDI orchestation is your focus, we'll show you how to get the most realistic possible mockups out of your virtual instruments. We'll also guide you through the intricacies of modern DAWs, sequencers, and sample libraries.

© 2013-2016 by Microtone Music International, Inc.         T 203.496.0906 / michael@coolconservatory.com

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • RSS Social Icon
  • SoundCloud Social Icon